Once in a lifetime’ is an overused phrase – but we think this wildlife trip demands it.
New for 2019 is an intimate small group winter expedition to Himalayan region of Ladakh in search of the majestic snow leopard.
• Led by an expert snow leopard guide who offers incredible insight on the region’s cultural heritage
• Set out in search of the elusive snow leopard, and explore three valleys, which are also home to other unique wildlife including ibex, Tibetan antelope, blue sheep, shapo, marmot and the Tibetan hare.
• Visit the Snow Leopard Conservancy and learn about the efforts made by the local authorities, and community, to conserve this endangered species.
• Spend seven nights living with a Ladakhi family, understanding their unique lifestyle
• Explore the Thiksey monastery, the most beautifully situated monastery in Ladakh, perched high on a hill above the Indus River.
• Venture out on foot, and by 4×4 vehicle, and gain insight into the region’s fascinating folklore, customs and traditions.
• Travel to the ancient Alchi Gompa monastery, located on the south bank of the Indus River.
You'll be accompanied by one of the region’s most expert snow leopard guides, boosting your chances of seeing the 'mountain ghost' as these elusive felines are known. You may also spot - and photograph - other exceptional wildlife such as ibex, Tibetan antelope, blue sheep, shapo, marmot and Tibetan hare.
Not that wildlife is the sole reason to go. Known as 'Little Tibet', Ladakh and its awe inspiring scenery feels like some sort of last frontier. The 12 night itinerary will also see you venture out on foot, and by 4×4 vehicle, and gain insight into the region’s fascinating folklore, customs and traditions. It also includes a week spent living with a Ladakhi family: a priviledged opportunity to learn about their culture and lifestyle.
When to go: Selected dates March and April.
Cost: From £8,482, including flights to Delhi, all transfers, full board, permits and activities