Ecuador is one of the smallest countries in South America, but what it lacks in size it makes up for it in its diversity. Here you will be able to see a bit of everything Latin America has to offer, be it colourful indigenous markets, well preserved colonial cities, the sultry Amazon jungle, volcanoes, cloudforest and of course, the magnificent Galapagos Islands, a unique feature all of its own.
Ecuador is great for families and couples alike, there is something for everyone and every taste. Quito is the main gateway with its colonial old city, overlooked by the Panecillo, a 45 metre tall monument of a Madonna made in aluminium. From here, it is easy to visit the Avenue of the Volcanoes and the Otavalo Market, as well as the Mitad del Mundo monument marking the centre of the world.
For wildlife enthusiasts, a visit to the Amazon jungle and the Galapagos is a must, and if birding is a particular interest, the Mindo Cloudforest near Quito is a good option.
- The colonial cities of Quito and Cuenca, both of which are UNESCO Heritage Cities.
- The Avenue of the Volcanoes, south of Quito towards Cuenca with an option of going on the Devil’s Nose Train ride.
- Otavalo, the colourful market town a couple of hours north of Quito surrounded by hills and mountains and famous for its bustling indigenous market.
- Thermal Springs at Papallacta, a couple of hours drive from Quito.
- The Cloudforest on the slopes of the Andes and full of wildlife, especially birdlife.