Peru offers a wonderful blend of history and culture plus remarkable landscapes and wildlife. The magnificent Andes are home to the remains of the Inca civilisation with Machu Picchu the highlight for many visitors although there are ruins scattered throughout the Sacred Valley. Elsewhere in the mountains, the Colca Canyon is a fantastic place for viewing the majestic condor and Peru’s second city of Arequipa, surrounded by impressive volcanoes, is a must visit for anyone interested in the country’s Spanish colonial history.
Peru is not for the faint hearted as many of the major attractions are at high altitude including Lake Titicaca which has an elevation of 3,812 metres. Here visitors can learn about the locals’ pre-colonial traditions and take a boat out to the islands, some of which are made of reeds. Although famed for its mountain highlights, Peru is also an excellent destination for forays into the Amazon which can be easily reached from both Lima and Cusco.
- Visit the famous Inca city of Machu Picchu either by train or a rewarding 4 day trek.
- Explore vibrant and historical Cusco, the former Inca capital.
- Spend a few days exploring the Sacred Valley with fertile river plains, impressive ruins, colourful markets and stunning Andean scenery.
- Watch the impressive condors soaring over the Colca Canyon.
- Wander through Santa Catalina convent in the “White City” of Arequipa.