South Africa offers visitors a diverse range of landscapes, amazing wildlife and a complex culture and history. It is an excellent first time safari destination, particularly for families as there are malaria-free areas in which to spot the Big Five.
Unlike much of Africa, the country lends itself well to a self-drive holiday, be that exploring the Winelands east of Cape Town, driving along the picturesque Garden Route or taking a self-drive safari through the Kruger staying in luxury lodges or affordable rest camps.
The more adventurous will enjoy exploring the stunning mountainous scenery of the Drakensberg and the Blyde River Canyon while the battlefields provide an insight into the history of this dramatic region. South Africa is an excellent honeymoon destination with boutique hotels in the Winelands offering luxurious accommodation and excellent cuisine. Combine this with a safari in the Kruger before retiring to the Indian Ocean beaches of KwaZulu-Natal or one of the barefoot luxury resorts of neighbouring Mozambique.
South Africa Highlights
- Explore the vibrant waterfront city of Cape Town, visit Robben Island and take a cable car to the summit of Table Mountain.
- Spot the Big Five on a safari in the Kruger or in the malaria free areas of the Eastern Cape or Madikwe.
- Go wine tasting in the delightful towns of Stellenbosch and Franschhoek
- Drive along the picturesque Garden Route where whale and dolphin watching trips can be arranged in season.
- Enjoy the stunning landscapes of KwaZulu-Natal and learn about the infamous battles in the region.