If, like many of the staff at Real Holidays, you enjoy a mix of culture and beach while on holiday Turkey is the destination for you. Istanbul is a unique city offering an unrivalled blend of cultures thanks to its strategic location between Europe and Asia. The city’s remarkable history is reflected in its many monuments such as Aya Sophia, and Topkapi Palace. Istanbul also has a vibrant social scene with excellent cafes, bars and restaurants not to mention lively souks and upmarket boutiques. From Istanbul, visitors can fly east to the remarkable volcanic scenery of Capadoccia or south to the ancient city of Ephesus. The lesser visited south eastern region of Turkey is where many of our clients are now choosing to go with highlights including the extraordinary excavations at Göbekli Tepe which date to around 10,000 BC.
Turkey is blessed with a long and beautiful coastline, some of it is perhaps over-developed but there are plenty of hidden coves, sleepy fishing villages and peaceful beaches where you can unwind after exploring the cultural and historical side of the country. For a summer holiday with a difference, we recommend chartering a traditional Turkish sailing boat, or gulet, for the ultimate coastal escape.
- Explore the city which straddles Europe and Asia, Istanbul’s mosques, churches, palaces and monuments reflect the city’s immense history.
- Visit the volcanic landscape of Cappadocia and stay in a cave hotel in the underground cities where persecuted Christians once took refuge.
- Tour eastern Turkey and learn about the settlers from Greeks to Armenians who have all left their mark on the area from the 6th century cliff-side Sumela Monastery complex to the ancient Armenian capital of ‘a thousand churches’, Ani.
- Combine a visit to the ancient city of Ephesus with some time relaxing on the beaches around Bodrum.
- Take a trip in a traditional gulet sailing boat along the Lycian coast.